Current Sermon Series
In the Gospel of John the promise of the Holy Spirit and His work in the lives of the disciples was spoken at what would have certainly been a challenging, possibly even heartbreaking, moment for the disciples. But, the promise of the Holy Spirit was the continuation of God’s promise to the people of Israel that He would never leave them or forsake them. The Holy Spirit was going to encourage them in the calling Jesus was giving to them, to share His Gospel throughout the world. The Holy Spirit gives us everything we need to fulfill our calling – courage, wisdom, giftedness, peace, all of it – so that Jesus’s Kingdom work continues through the Church today!
Sermon Series Discussion Questions
- Read John 16:12-15
As Jesus promised His Holy Spirit to His disciples, He also told them of the trials and struggles they were going to endure through His death and resurrection. The promise of the Holy Spirit and His work in the lives of the disciples was spoken at what would have been a challenging and heartbreaking moment for the disciples. The promise of the Holy Spirit, however, was the continuation of God’s promise to the people of Israel that He would never leave them or forsake them.
- Share what you have heard or learned about the Holy Spirit’s purpose.
- How have you seen God’s promises to you lived out in your daily life?
- Do you believe that the Holy Spirit has given you certain spiritual gifts to serve God and others? Why or why not? How could you grow in this understanding?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:1-11
The Body of Christ is not created or designed to be led by a lone-ranger type of personality, one who can do everything themselves while the rest of the Body of Christ simply enjoys the benefits of their success. Instead, by the work of the Holy Spirit, the Body of Christ is designed and created to work together where each member uses his or her giftedness and passions for the sake of the whole Body of Christ.
- Share a time when you had to rely on someone else for help.
- What gets in the way of working together with other people?
- Who could you work together with this week to show love to someone?
- Read John 17:20-26 and 1 Corinthians 12:21-31
Jesus’ prayer in John 17 is for the unity of His disciples. He knew the trials and struggles they would face. He knows the trials and struggles we will face as we carry out His Kingdom work. But He has given us His Spirit to carry out our calling in Him – to share His Gospel. As Paul reminds us, it’s in using our spiritual giftedness that we have the greatest opportunity to serve the Body of Christ! We have been given our giftedness to use it for God’s Kingdom, for the encouragement of the Body of Christ, and that we would find joy in our lives!
- Fill out a SHAPE form this week and see where your giftedness lies. Then, jump in a serve somewhere!
- [Once you’ve filled out your shape form] How have you seen your spiritual gifts lived out in your life already? How could you grow in using them?
Life Defining Moments
Just before the new year Pastor Brian shared with us the life defining moment that a man named Simeon experienced when he met Jesus. He then challenged us to seek Christ in new ways so that we could experience life defining moments in Jesus! To watch or listen to that message again click here. Pastor Brian shared three ways in which we could seek Christ first as we start the new year! Check them out below with some helpful links to dive deeper.
1. Engage in a spiritual discipline. Click here to read the article that Pastor Brian shared in worship about 12 spiritual disciplines that you could dive into.
2. Model a life of discipleship. Click here to walk through our series on discipleship.
3. Challenge your purpose through prayer and praise. Spend 15 minutes in worship each day. Click here to view some simple family worship songs from Seeds Family Worship.
Homefront Magazine (November Digital Download) - Activities, articles, recipes, and more for families to do together.
Homefront Magazine Blog - Even more activities, articles, recipes, and more for families to do together.
Parent Cue Blog - Simple reminders and helpful conversation starters to help parents lead their children.
Phase Blog - For leaders and parents to learn about the phase that their child or group is in.
Seeds Family Worship - Resources and worship music for young families.
Faith5 - Video resources to help parents guide their children through a daily conversation of "share, read, talk, pray, and bless".
Right Now Media
Gloria Dei members have access to an online video library called RightNow Media with over 20,000 discipleship videos for kids,
To learn how to watch RightNow Media across any of your devices click here.
Suggest a Resource
We are always on the lookout for new resources to use. If you have something that you think would be great let us know by downloading the form below and returning it to Ross Owens in the church office.